An integration with human face
Bienvenue à Notre-Dame-de-Grâce is a non-profit organization dedicated to facilitating the integration of immigrants (newly arrived or other) in the community of Notre-Dame-De-Grâce and the host society as well as promoting intercultural relations.
Bienvenue à Notre-Dame-de-Grâce stems from the Bienvenue à NDG Project which has been operative since 2009, in partnership with the NDG Community Council, the Comité Action 6-12, and the Table de Concertation Jeunesse NDG.
Miguel Cristancho | General Director | email@example.com
Ricardo Botero | Intervenant Espagnol | firstname.lastname@example.org
Sharareh Mahvi | Intervenante Perse | email@example.com
May (Zhihiu Liu) | Intervenante Mandarin | firstname.lastname@example.org
Olga Borcovscaia | Intervenante Russe | email@example.com
Asma Benaziz | Coordinatrice |Intervenante Arabe | firstname.lastname@example.org
5964, Ave. Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, #205, Montréal, QC, H4A 1N1
Aminata Aïdara: Présidente
Nathalie Senecal: Trésorière
Charlotte Smoley: Secrétaire
CONSEIL COMMUNITAIRE NDG :James Olwell
PREVENTION NDG : Joseph Lambert Administrateur
HIPPY QUEBEC : Glenn Rubenstein Administrateur
CJE-NDG : Jean-Marie Rugira
We hold information kiosks to directly inform immigrants about services, organizations and the activities of the community being available to them.
Team Bienvenue à Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, (including language speakers) assists immigrants by meeting them, listening to them and providing them with useful information; by referring them to the services and agencies that can help them; by carrying out a follow-up if necessary and encouraging them to participate in various training and socio-cultural activities of the community. The first contact is made in the French language. Then, the project offers immigrant people the possibility to find information and to express themselves in the language they feel most at ease with thanks to language monitors and volunteers of the project: Mandarin, Spanish, Arab, Russian, etc.
This approach allows immigrants to feel welcomed, heard and respected, which reduces the level of stress related to the integration process.
Our community network has enabled us to develop different first points of contact, offering hospitality to families directly in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce organizations. The NDG food depot is an example: newcomers who receive food service there will also have the possibility to access all services of Bienvenue à Notre-Dame-de-Grâce.
We organize and animate social integration activities that bring individuals together in cultural activities and training workshops.
After establishing contact with immigrants, social training activities promote social interaction. It also allows to break the isolation of certain families and to facilitate their integration through the provision of training adapted to the needs of the participants.
Immigrants often have few opportunities to expand their social network and to get to know the community and organizations that make it up. They often need opportunities to leave their homes and participate in activities that will allow them to create links and learn more about life in Quebec. Having friends and friends with similar interests is a key success factor in the integration of immigrants.
In addition, training offered by Bienvenue à Notre-Dame-de-Grâce (education, housing, employment, budget, etc.) allows for a better understanding of the host society: its values, the way it works and it also helps newcomers to better engage in the life of their host society. Workshops include topics that are chosen by immigrants themselves, which help them reinforce their knowledge and skills and also strengthen the sense of control over their life: a step towards better integration.
We accompany the newcomers in their efforts to integrate through meetings with an agent of integration.
This service aims to provide the newcomers with support adapted to their needs and their particular situation in order to enable better support for their integration. This support refers to the following services:
Evaluation: to help the newcomer to identify his/her overall needs in social, cultural, linguistic or economic integration and to build with him/her the steps to be carried out in the short and medium term.
Orientation: to refer the newcomer to resources, services and programs offered inside the whole community such as housing, health and social services, education, consumption or work (recognition, learning French as a second language, self-knowledge, socio-professional bereavement, etc.) among others.
Follow-up: follow up with the newcomer in order to ensure the success his/her efforts and to provide encouragement and support for that matter.
We offer career development opportunities to the participants and we value their contribution to the development of the community.
In partnership with the Carrefour Jeunesse-Emploi de NDG, the project aims to help a group of 10 to 12 participants to develop their skills in job search and career planning. In addition, the project offers customized professional guidance, by allowing participants to obtain concrete and measurable results in their professional life (coaching), with a focus on entrepreneurship and business creation. In addition, through different training modules, participants have the opportunity to develop their skills in the Organization of events, Office and business French skills. At the end of the project, an internship in one of the agencies of the community or a business organization of events allows them to put the knowledge acquired into practice, to establish links with possible employers or to start their own worker co-op.
This program allows participants to develop their abilities and job search skills while helping them to become aware of cross-curricular competences they have (linked to their past experiences). In addition to the need for such a program, in Bienvenue à Notre-Dame-de-Grâce participants, we believe that candidates with skills in event organization are in high demand inside and outside the district
We work with community partners to better meet the needs of immigrant families.
The integration of families and immigrant individuals in the community was established as a priority in forums and surveys that have been conducted in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce in the last 3 years. This objective is part of the plan of action of the Table interculturelle and the Table jeunesse.
Objective 2 the Table interculturelle: To ensure the creation and support of initiatives aimed at improving the access of immigrants to information on existing services and resources.
Objective 5 of guideline 4 of the Table jeunesse NDG: To develop communication strategies to ensure that immigrants and members of cultural communities participate and have the possibility to get involved.
En partenariat avec le Conseil communautaire NDG et Jeunes en santé NDG nous avons organisé le projet Football 7. Ce projet vient renforcer l’importance de l’activité physique pour tous les membres de la famille tout en faisant la promotion des activités de divertissement que les organismes du quartier développent pour la communauté
The project Je m’engage invites you to participate of the creation of the first work cooperative for newcomers in NDG
What are the benefits for me?
- Going into business offering your skills
- Share your knowledge with your neighbours
- Learn new and interesting things
- Get Canadian working experience as a volunteer
- Participate in your community
Supported by the found Ville-MESS 2013-2015
Bienvenue à Notre-Dame-de-Grâce fulfils its mission by providing services to immigrants and members of cultural communities by carrying out the necessary actions which can help them integrate harmoniously into the heart of our community.
- To greet immigrants, individuals and their families
- To break their social isolation
- To accompany them through their various integration steps
- To reinforce the feeling of belonging to their new social environment and to make it easier for them to develop a potential network
- To support individual immigrants and their families in acquiring the knowledge and the skills (through training, for example) needed to improve their integration
- To empower immigrant individuals and families so they may become more comfortable in getting involved in the community
- To refer them, if need be, to the proper existing resources
- To be an active partner, in a complementary and collaborative fashion, of other integration programs and organizations which cater to the needs of immigrants and members of cultural communities
In support and in cooperation with our community partners, and by avoiding all possibility of infringing on one another’s various fields of endeavors, to encourage and to develop all initiatives that aim at developing the employability of members of cultural communities and of newcomers.
- To provide immigrants in NDG with a warm welcome and friendly dialogue
- To promote the contribution to the development of their community by participating actively along with the creation and development of partnerships and networks concerned with socio-economic issues that affect the community as a whole, and more specifically, new immigrants.
- To promote networks of mutual assistance and solidarity within the services offered to immigrants.
- To strengthen links and to promote cultural exchanges between the different communities.
The principles of intervention
- Accessibility: Bienvenue à Notre-Dame-de-Grâce services are oriented to any immigrant, no matter his/her socioeconomic status, income, occupational or physical abilities or his/her degree of schooling. The services are offered in French and, if necessary, in other languages to facilitate communication.
- Adaptability: all services offered by Bienvenue à Notre-Dame-de-Grâce are geared towards the needs of immigrants in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce. A flexible and sensitive approach ensures customer- friendly treatment while taking into account the strengths and weaknesses of each customer.
- The holistic approach: all services will consider the holistic needs of the clientele, including integration, maternity/paternity, housing, food security, self-confidence, etc.
- Development of the capacity for autonomy and evolution: Bienvenue à Notre-Dame-de-Grâce services encourage individuals to take responsibility and to get involved. The participation of immigrants is actively sought in activities, at all levels of planning, administration, delivery of services, etc.
- Local development: Bienvenue à Notre-Dame-de-Grâce believes in the development of all those who live inside the community. In this context, Bienvenue à Notre-Dame-de-Grâce will respect local partners and will work with community groups, institutions, merchants and citizens to identify partners and the real needs of the community. Also, the non-duplication of services is the essence of the philosophy of the project.
- Individual rights and responsibilities: all services are based on respect for individual rights. Bienvenue à Notre-Dame-de-Grâce will not oblige anyone to participate; and will always respect the confidentiality of the customer.
- Monitoring: Bienvenue à Notre-Dame-de-Grâce provides customers with follow- up in the short, medium and long term, according to the customer's needs and the level of intervention required.
- The protection of interests: Bienvenue à Notre-Dame-de-Grâce is geared towards the protection of its clients and their families interests.